Our volunteers are who help us make a difference in the world around us. Please join us on Monday, November 1st at 6pm PST/9pm EST for a virtual sweets class.
Please RSVP at bit/ly/sankarasweets
Chef Bhuwana Chandar has kindly offered to teach us her simple, vegan, all-natural baklava and cashew-dates roll recipes! You can either watch her make them or gather the ingredients and join her in your kitchen and make-along!!
Here are the list of ingredients and other items you will need to keep ready….
- Phyllo pastry or Filo pastry sheets – 1 pack ( do not buy Puff Pastry, which is very different from Filo and will not work for baklava. Also puff pastry is not vegan )
( Athens is a popular brand found easily in stores )
2. Dates – 4 -5 cups approx
3. Dry fruits – Almonds, pistachios ( more traditional for baklava), walnuts or other nuts of your choice. Total amounting to about 5 cups for both the sweets
4. Khus khus – 2 tablespoons
5. Elaichi powder -1 tsp
6. Rose essence – optional
7. Cinnamon stick- 2
8. Maple syrup- 1 cup
9. Coconut sugar -1.5 cups
10. Olive oil -1 cup or any neutral tasting oil of your choice
Other items needed :
- 8 inch square baking tray, can be glass or metal ( or any size baking tray that suits your requirement)
2.Pastry brush for brushing the oil
5.Paper towels or cloth napkins to cover the pastry sheets from drying